Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hrdlicka Istvan? (Read 4862 times)
pitika
YaBB Newbies

Hrdlicka Istvan?
31.05.07 at 14:10:13

I heard about soldier of Hungarian Army during campaign against Yugoslavia 1941 named Hrdlicka Istvan. He suppose to distinguish himself in fight and according to what I heard he was of Slovak ethnicity.

Are there any details, did he really exist or this is just some misunderstanding, misspelling etc.?

Thanks to everybody.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Denes
Global Moderator

Re: Hrdlicka Istvan?
Reply #1 - 31.05.07 at 22:39:00

You're correct, Pitika.

The Hungarian spelling of his name is Hrdlicska.
He was born in 1915 at Garamkövesd (in Slovak Kamenica nad Hronom). He served in the Czechoslovak army until 1938. He was then drafted into the Hungarian army. Honvéd (Private) Hrdlicska, member of the 4th Motorised Infantry Company, was killed in action against Yugoslav troops in Délvidék (Southern Hungary, today Northern Serbia), at Szőreg (in Serbian Sirig) on April 13, 1941. He was the eighth Hungarian soldier to receive to coveted Magyar Arany Vitézségi Érem (Hungarian Golden Medal for Bravery). He was burried in Garamkövesd.

Dénes
Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
pitika
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - 01.06.07 at 12:55:13

Thank you very much Denes,
do you know what was citation for medal? I mean what he got it for?
Was he Slovak or Hungarian from Czechoslovak southern regions? Just by name hard to tell as in some places nationalities are mixed pretty much and even by name, a lot of Slovaks have Hungarian last name and a lot of Hungarians have Slovak sounding last names.

Many Thanks it's great you made this forum in English language.

cb1

Reply #3 - 01.06.07 at 14:32:50

Hi P,

http://www.akm.externet.hu/rendjel/adatok/mave.htm

IH's unit was under fire. He alone crawled near the Serb MG nest and silenced it with hand grenade. Although seriously wounded, he kept on firing and prevented a Serb counterattack.

Reading through HGMB list it is interesting that the first seven were awarded to those who fought against Czecho-Slovakia/Ruthenia. The first one for example was awarded for a very similar deed (handgrenade against an MG nest)

Bye,
Krisz

PS: talking about Istváns of Slovak surnames, I have just found the Janek article under a pile on my desk, so just a bit more patience Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
pitika
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - 01.06.07 at 15:01:46

Hi Krisz,

Thanks, I am pretty busy too with some other things so no problem. Will write you soon anyway Wink.

Peter

pitika
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - 07.06.07 at 20:49:51

BTW What was Hrdlicska's Nantionality?
I checked the census data and for Kamenica it is 80/20% for Hungarians.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print